Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Unofficial Guide Walt Disney World 2013 Book Review


     I have never been to Disney World, Disneyland many times; our first trip is this December.  I wanted to get all the extra information I could. I have read all the message boards, listened to podcast one of  my favorites is  mighty men of mouse love their pod cast. I have a pretty good handle on my vacation, so I did not think the unofficial guide would offer more how wrong I was. The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2013 is by Bob Sehlinger, Seth Kubersky, and Len Testa along with information gathered by many sources and research. The guide is not in any way affiliated with Disney so they are willing to be honest about what they liked and do not like about the parks this was a high point of the book.


     This is only one book of many by the same authors they have many guides that are highly recommended by many, be sure to look into any that may apply to you, the best tool in planning a vacation is being prepared and planning. This book is big and bulky in the print version it is 848 pages from title to last page, this is the War and Peace of Disney guide books and worth every page they do have a kindle format also. I do know the next guide for 2014 is in Kindle format.  I did not read each and every page I read the chapters that applied to myself and my family’s upcoming trip.

     The handy index is highly useful as the same thing could be in multiple chapters so while you may want to look up illumination there is a page for it but it is also talked about in other areas of the book by looking at the index you can see where other information on it can be.  The index can also be daunting because there is so much in one book the index is large and can be difficult if you kind of know, but are not sure of what you are looking for.

     The section on hotels is nice if you are still deciding where to stay we have already booked our rooms but it still was nice to see what they said about our hotel and that it had a good star rating. If you are just starting you trip planning I suggest looking though this portion and see what they have to say about the hotels. A lot of family’s try to go on a budget and this book may help in that area, the cheapest hotel is not always the cheapest in the long run, so it never hurts to study before you spend your money.


     The restaurant guide came in handy I think any advice should also be held lightly, you may love the pizza at mama’s that the review was not a fan of, by all means fallow the advice and try the places with the mist stares but also try a few of the others as well you just may surprise yourself and find a gem at the parks. The nice thing about the restaurant portion is that every eatery in each park and the hotels is listed. I used this portion to plan ARD’s for the days we are there. They also include tidbits about the eateries also a nice touch, but as I said never take anyone’s words as gold if it looks good and sounds good to you try it.


     Something that I was not overly impressed with is the Disney offered tours, we have a large group going on our December trip so I have decided to bite the bullet and do the Premium VIP Disney tour. Finding information on this tour is nearly impossible, I have resigned myself to just having to wait until I get home and do a review myself to find one. I will be writing a full review of every little thing included with the tour when we return from our trip. Besides the costly VIP tour there are many other tours offered by Disney I was disappointed that there was not more information and depth of these.

     The park to park guides where nice and I ready each of them in full. Each park is described in detail of what each park offers such as; restaurants, rides, shows, and any information you could want on the park and its entertainment was included. I found some things in the guide to do I was not aware of beforehand, I have done a lot of research and I did not think there was anything I had not heard of I was pleasantly surprised. If you have not been to the park before of have only been once or twice this will be valuable you will know where to go, what to do, and the best places to rest.  

     In the guide to the parks is where you will find the rides for each park along with the rates by stars for each age group this is an awesome for someone who has never been to the park. Disney world is not Disneyland they have some same rides but many different ones as well .It was nice to see what rides are the most popular and has the most stars. The rating by ages rocks on our trip we will have my Grandmother and the senior star rates may come in handy while working out what ride she may not enjoy. Please don’t get me wrong she is an active senior but she is not into loop’s and crazy turns, this guide helps insure each age group has an general idea what will work best for them. I liked that it covered all the rides it gives each of them stars and full reviews of what it does along with past readers inputs. I found this helped me decided what we were going to do first, on this note their option may not be your option so take any advice with a grain of salt, just because they gave it two stars it may be a four star for you, I always think you should get the best and top must ride done first, but don’t forget the others as well. With so many things in Disney World and the other parks you may miss something you really enjoy because you heard it was a bad ride.

     There is also a lot of maps that will help you in your planning, I did not know where our hotel was compared to the parks before looking at them, it also has a handy guide to the transit system of Disney parks along with estimated times from parks to hotels .The Disney transit from Disney resort hotels to parks can be a pain from what I read, this is one thing I am not looking forward to but at least with the book I will have a handle on it before we head to the parks on our first day.

      I also enjoyed the shopping guide I am a fan of shopping on vacation at Disney for things that I just cannot find in other places. This guide was nice but I would have liked a full shopping guide, there are so many shops in the parks I would like to know what ones sell what so I can work out a plan from that. Things like the store in star tours,  is where you will find star wars items, this may seem obvious but if you have young children that could no ride it you may skip the area totally. This also helps you to know where to avoid if your child is princesses happy you may want to know what stores sell exclusively princess stuff.


     All in all I think this book is amazing and useful the 2014 guide is out as of four days ago, I will be getting this book and reviewing it. After glancing though other Unofficial Guides from previous years I am assuming that this will be the same so you will not miss much by getting the 2013 guide. I hope to start on the 2014 in the next few days just to get an idea of any differences. I found the 2013 guide is ready available at library’s so it may be your best bet if you are looking to just glance though  it for a few ideas and save money, I am including the link to amazon for anyone who is interested in finding this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment